Monday, June 25, 2012

The Fruits of Her Labor

Katherine keeps giving me gifts, though she has long since passed from this earth. Every June, the day lilies she planted on the west side of the wash house bloom.

We've lived in Katherine's house since I was 8 months pregnant with Jill. It will be 27 years in August. I have no idea when she planted the orange blooms. I just know they've always been a part of the landscape of our backyard.

They are hardly worth noticing as I head out on an early morning walk, as dawn turns to day. Since they are on the west side of the building, it takes longer for the morning light to reach them.
But even an hour later as I return, the blooms are beginning to open and show their true colors.
So many years ago, as Katherine tilled the soil and planted the lilies and watered them, she was making her world more beautiful.
Lucky for me, she made my world more beautiful, too. It just goes to show you how the small things we do can have a big impact.

We plant seeds in life. We may never realize the way they blossom far into the future. 

2 comments: