Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spicy Sausage Pasta

 
The first time I got a recipe via email from my son, I had to go back and reconfirm that it was actually from Brent.

Since then, both Jill and I have been on the receiving end of recipes from his kitchen. It doesn't surprise me anymore unless I think back to those days when I suggested he add 4-H foods and nutrition to his list of projects.

It was always an unqualified, "No!"

However, necessity changes attitudes. As Randy points out, Brent didn't have to cook when he lived here. Both Jill and I enjoy cooking and baking, so Brent just reaped the benefits. But since he doesn't want to eat frozen pizza or takeout all the time, he has developed some kitchen skills.

And he occasionally shares a recipe with both Jill and me. We share them back. It's an amazing thing, really! This Spicy Sausage Pasta was one he recommended from his Kentucky kitchen and I repeated here on the County Line. He isn't one to peruse cookbooks. Rather, he finds his recipes online. This one was from a blog by Kevin & Amanda's Delicious Recipes.

 
Spicy Sausage Pasta
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 1/2 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 can tomatoes with green chilies, mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces penne pasta
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions

Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper; stir. Bring to a boil; cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with green onion. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Makes 4 servings. I served it with a green salad.

Note: Use turkey sausage, if available.

***
Today, I'm linked to Wake Up Wednesdays on Wichita blogger Ashley's Kitchen Meets Girl. Click on the link for more from kitchens across the country.

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I chuckled at this post. My son NEVER wanted to cook. Like you say, he didn't have too. He learned quick when he went to college. Now he and his girlfriend both cook...In fact they made thanksgiving dinner! I was impressed! So, I bought them a crock pot and blender for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Brent a CrockPot and a knife set last year, and he uses it. Isn't it funny how things evolve?

      Delete