Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!


Some dads will get fishing poles. Others would prefer golf equipment. Still others may get the stereotypical necktie.

For a couple of dads I know, the best gift for their special day is the chance to get some more wheat harvested. So Happy Father's Day to my Dad and my hubby who should get their wish today.

On this Father's Day, I am truly blessed. I don't say "I'm lucky" because I truly feel blessed by God to have such great Dads in my life.

First of all, there's my Dad, who obviously helped cultivate a love of reading that is still alive and well today.

He taught me how to shoot a basketball. Even though the early indoctrination seems to have not paid off with playing time (since I was a champion bench sitter), I did learn to appreciate the game (especially when it involves Thunderbirds, Trojans and Wildcats!)


He taught me to work hard and to never settle for mediocrity. He taught me to think for myself.

He paid for years of piano and voice lessons, but when the time came, he advised me to try journalism instead of becoming a music teacher. With my temperament, it was some of the best advice I ever got.

He taught me about the importance of family. I will never forget him telling me, my sisters and my brother that we needed to protect one another. Sure, we were going to bicker, but if some outsider was threatening one of our siblings, we were supposed to rally to their defense.

Thanks, Dad, for all the things you have done and continue to do for me and my family. Happy Father's Day!

***

I made one of the best decisions of my life 29 years ago when I married my husband. He turned out to be the best father for my children that I could ever have hoped and prayed for.

Randy has been a great Daddy at all the stages of our kids' lives.

From little ...



To a little bigger ...

To almost grown ...


To entering a new stage of life as a father of adults. It's a journey I've been privileged to be on with him.

Photo by Gina Dreher, Gingerroot Studios, Wichita


He's been a great partner at every stage. Happy Father's Day, Randy!

***

And on this Father's Day, I also celebrate the memory of my father-in-law. He would have been right there with them on the notion that a perfect Father's Day would be spent in the driver's seat of a combine.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Melvin and Marie for raising the fine man I married.

So, while we celebrate a couple of great Dads around here today, we'll also be missing another one.



Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Hope your day is spent doing the things you love.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to the Dad's in your life. Thanks! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures!! Like the one of Randy and DAd of course! Tell Randy nice 'stache in the first two!!!! Hee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully worded journal. Brought tears to my eyes remembering with you my dear cousin Melvin and Randy as a little boy. Those hot summer days of harvest in Kansas - gets deep into your blood. Seeing Randy today is like a cool summer nites breeze with the cottonwoods whispering in the background. He sure is his Dad. Happy father's day, Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you. I will pass along the greetings (and compliments? Kathy!) to Randy.

    ReplyDelete