Thursday, September 9, 2021

More Than Meatloaf

 
What do 15 pounds of hamburger, a dozen eggs, oodles of oatmeal, some ketchup, evaporated milk and assorted spices make?

It makes a whole lot more than meatloaf. It - along with a table full of homemade sides - is a love gift for grieving families from our church family.

On Saturday, I organized my second funeral dinner for the church. I've helped with dozens of these dinners, but I'm not typically the organizer for them. I'm certainly not a stranger to organizing meals or special events from bridal showers to youth dinners to 4-H fundraisers to PTO soup suppers to Core meals ... the list goes on and on.

But our new funeral dinner leader was out of town for the Labor Day weekend. And I just couldn't let the Stafford Methodist Meatloaf tradition down for this particular lady.

We were celebrating the life of Wanda. A few years ago, she was bound and determined that she'd make it to the 200 funeral meal mark, each detailed in the 3-ring notebook she carefully propped onto the huge stainless steel island in the church kitchen as she prepared funeral meals. Once she reached that mark, she evidently thought it was time to turn over the notebook to someone else. 
 
At about the same time, she handed me a business-sized envelope after church one day. She had my name as the addressee and her name in the return. It included her "formula" for Methodist Meatloaf, as well as the number of salads, potatoes, cakes and French bread loaves it took to serve anywhere from 5 to 130 people. I stuck it in the back of my calendar, knowing I had that resource at my fingertips if ever I needed it.
 
I must admit: I didn't follow her meatloaf recipe to a "T," but I sure used it as a guide to convert my own recipe. And I did use her calculations for how much of the "extras" to ask for from other congregation members.
 
I joked on Saturday that I may get met at the Pearly Gates some day by disgruntled Stafford UMC ladies already in Glory. I used disposable tableware to speed clean-up on a holiday weekend. (And, truth be told, I'll do it again if I'm called to duty for the job. It made the clean up so much faster!)
 
Are there sunsets in heaven? I don't know, but I can imagine the beauty. (Sunset 9-8-21)
 
And Wanda may greet me to give me the "what for" about the ketchup bottle on the serving table. Wanda would definitely not approve. When she was in charge of the meal, family members would sometimes come into the kitchen and ask if we had ketchup. She'd say, "There's ketchup in the meatloaf." (However, we didn't place the ketchup on the table for her husband's funeral dinner. And one of her own family members asked for it. I just was saving a step on Saturday, or so I'd like to believe.)

The funeral service was in the church sanctuary, while we prepared the meal in the kitchen downstairs. I imagine that the smell of baking meatloaf was as much a benediction for Wanda's family as the closing prayer.
 
Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance
rising up to God.
2 Corinthians 2:15
 
I've always loved this quote attributed to Teresa of Avila:
 
 Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which He looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which He walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which He blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are His body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours. 
Teresa of Avila 
One of my favorite Bible passages -- I Corinthians 12 -- talks about all the parts of the body being important and working together. 
 
It takes "the body" to accomplish a funeral dinner .. all those people who say "yes" when asked to bring a salad or cake, help set up or clean up or accomplish the myriad of other behind-the-scenes tasks needed.
 
Yes, it takes all of us, using our God-given gifts to do the work of the church or the community - whether that's a funeral dinner, school music, sports, 4-H, Scouts, Chamber of Commerce, the county fair, food bank ... the examples are endless. And so are the opportunities.

7 comments:

  1. I imagine that the smell of baking meatloaf was as much a benediction for Wanda's family as the closing prayer.

    Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.
    2 Corinthians 2:15

    These statements brought a tear to my eye; what a beautiful tribute to her family and to serving our Lord with gladness!

    p.s. I've copied your funeral meal planning guide. We have something similar, but yours is amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It was MOST helpful and a great legacy for Wanda to leave the rest of us.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job and mom (Wanda) would be proud of you. I know it tasted great and the family would approve. Thank you for a great tasting meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I was glad to honor Wanda. She certainly provided that service for our family more than once.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kim for honoring this special lady, and for doing God's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to do it. I know there are many who do the same. I'm grateful for those who served us in that way for both Melvin and Marie's funerals.

      Delete
  4. The 'funeral dinner' is new to me. I love how Wanda organised and shared her 'formula'. Ha, ha, re the ketchup!

    ReplyDelete