Thursday, February 24, 2022

A Visit to the Maternity Ward


The cattle lots to the east of our house are empty this winter. 

And, I must admit, that hasn't bothered me some days:

1) When the wind chill is below freezing;
2) When we are able to leave for the weekend - or even midweek - and not have to figure out who is going to feed and water the cattle;
3) When Facebook reminds me of the polar plunge from this time last year. I resembled the Michelin man for my daily stint in the feed truck;
4) When I'm not awakened for late night or early morning heifer mama checks;
5) This morning, when it's snowing.

But, I also must admit, I do miss the new little faces, practically in my own backyard. 

Thankfully, Tye & Todd have granted us liberal visitation policies with our 2022 calf crop. And we don't even have to wear a mask or follow any particular visiting hours. 

On a sunshine-filled afternoon last week, we took a drive through the "maternity ward."

It didn't disappoint ,,, except for rascals who only wanted to show their backsides - even if they're cute backsides.


But there were plenty of others who were ready for their closeups, as Greta Garbo used to proclaim. 

Some were as long-legged as runway models - or so it seemed.

Others were dressed for this month's Valentine's Day (note the "heart" on 787's chest).

While Tye and Todd don't care if we get a close-up look at our calves, some of the mamas give us the stink eye.

I'm always amazed at how some babies look just like their mamas ... 


...and others definitely don't. I guess that's true of human babies, too. 



 Some can't be bothered with any visitors: It's snack time!


We all know what's really important.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was. We went Saturday afternoon after our college basketball team lost. It always raises the mood - ha!

      Delete