Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Heal the World Through Joy

December 24, 2021, Sunrise

Once upon a time, there was the simple understanding that to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk was to heal the world through joy. The birds still remember what we have forgotten, that the world is meant to be celebrated.

Terry Tempest Williams 

I saw that quote on a friend's Facebook page not long ago. 

The winter sunrises and sunsets have certainly given us plenty of reasons to sing.

January 12, 2022, Sunset

Sometimes I don't make the trip down the road, away from the trees that surround our house. But the glow peeking into my windows from light streaking through the bare branches of wintertime trees often has me jumping in the car for a more unobstructed view. 

January 21, 2022, Sunset
 

Sometimes, the beginning or end of the day shouts a loud "Hello!" or "Goodbye!"

Other days, it seems to offer only a whisper.
 

But the truly important part is what happens between those bookends of the day. It is my own actions between sunrise and sunset that likely matter the most. How did I treat my family, my friends or my neighbors? Did I see God's creation in each face I encounter - whether it's a beloved family member or the grocery store cashier or the person whose Facebook opinion is radically different from my own?
 
Sunset - January 13, 2022

God holds us in the palm of His hand. We see it in the sunrises. We see it in the sunsets. We see it in the communities where we live and work and play. 

An email devotional from Guideposts had these words:

A Time to Act

Look at the world with a vision magnified by the power of faith deep within you.
Sunset - January 13, 2022

When the sun sets on my day, have I made a difference in the world? With God's help, we're the ones who can change the world for the better. Let's fill our days from sunrise to sunset with all the good things:

January 21, 2022, Sunset

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Sunrise, January 18, 2022



***

UPDATE: Theresa Lowther is the winner of the prize in honor of my 12th blogiversary. Thanks to every single one of you for your kind words and support. Your taking time to make comments and connect was a gift to me!

2 comments:

  1. Glorious moments captured. Definitely worth the dash in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been glorious sunrises and sunsets here in Idaho. I take almost daily pictures of one or the other or both! Saw a new born calf last week and I have been watching it daily. The mom is so alert to that little one. The mom is what I would think was a bull (obviously not) short horns and rather orangish I'd say. The baby is gray for now.

    ReplyDelete