Thursday, February 10, 2022

Cinnamon Churro Snack Mix: A Super Bowl Snack


The Super Bowl calls for a super snack mix ... even if my Chiefs aren't playing.

The first year my future daughter-in-law came to our family Christmas, she was amazed at the array of snack mixes lined up on the kitchen counter for holiday snacking. I usually make several different kinds of snack mix, some of which I give away as gifts from my kitchen and use for holiday celebrations.
 
This year, with our Christmas rudely interrupted by Covid, I packed up snack mixes to send home with Jill's family. I mailed a box to Brent and Susan. And I met my niece with a laundry basket fall of snacks to take to my folks' house for the extended family Christmas. We still had more than we needed at home. 

Many of them are tried-and-true family favorites. (Check out the links to those below.) But, this year, I added another one to the mix - so to speak. Cinnamon Churro Snack Mix will definitely appear in the holiday line-up again. And it's the perfect addition to a Super Bowl snack food array.
 

Jill had sent me a link to a Bugle-based cinnamon snack mix. And while I was sure I'd like it, I decided to look for a similar snack mix with some other add-ins. I found what I was looking for at Better Homes and Gardens' website. 

It called for either Corn or Rice Chex. And while that would have been perfectly fine, I decided to substitute Cinnamon Chex instead. (I have done similar substitutes in snack mixes with Chocolate Chex.) I also used pretzel "balls" I purchased at Glenn's Bulk Foods instead of pretzel twists or sticks. Any kind of fancy nuts would do, but I used fancy mixed nuts (no peanuts). 
 
While other family members might choose differently, this Cinnamon Churro Snack Mix has moved up on my "favorites" list faster than Tyreek Hill can streak to the end zone. Now, if only Tyreek, Travis, Patrick and their buddies were still playing. 
 
Oh well! Good luck to the Bengals and the Rams. It's a good excuse for fun snacks anyway!
 

Cinnamon Churro Snack Mix
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens website





 


Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a shallow roasting pan with foil, extending foil over edges. In prepared pan combine first four ingredients (through nuts).

In a medium saucepan cook and stir butter and brown sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla.

Drizzle cereal mixture with butter mixture; toss to coat. 

In a small bowl stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; toss again.

Bake 10 minutes; stir. Bake 10 minutes more. Using foil, lift out snack mix; cool on foil. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

NOTES:

  • If you can't find Bugles, you may substitute plain mini bagel chips or bite-sized wheat square cereal.
  • You may substitute corn or rice Chex (or store brand) for the Cinnamon Chex.
Need other ideas for your Super Bowl party?
 
Click on the links for the recipes pictured below. Looking for something else? Type "bar cookie," "snack mix," "cookies," "sandwiches," "soup," etc., into the blog search engine. The search engine is found in the upper lefthand corner of the blog post.

Oven-Baked BBQ Ribs AND Sweet & Sour Baked Beans

BBQ Meatballs - Make them full-size or bite-sized
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Drat, all these delicious treats and I am deperately trying to diet!
    I was introduced to the Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip on my last visit to PEI [so long ago] and is now a Christmas favourite. We can't buy fresh Cranberries and rarely frozen but the dried variety work fine for me. Enjoy the game or has it now been played?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was played Sunday, February 13. We were in Colorado with our daughter's family, so we watched it together. The Los Angeles Rams won.

      Delete