Monday, February 1, 2010

A Glimpse of Spring

It's another gray day here on the County Line. We had freezing fog this morning, and while the trees were again beautifully frosted with ice crystals, I decided it might be time for a sneak peak at spring.

We visited Jill & Eric in Omaha a couple of weeks ago. While there, we went to the Lauritzen Gardens at the Omaha Botanical Center. The center was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Frances Hodgson Burnett children's book, "The Secret Garden," with an indoor floral display. If truth is told, I was a little disappointed. I had visions of the Wichita Garden Show dancing in my head. Instead of acres of garden displays and lush landscaping, there were two itsy-bitsy "gardens."

To be fair, we did enjoy touring the outdoor gardens when we visited Omaha last September. But this trip, the gardens were piled with 2-foot high snow drifts and blanketed with thick fog. Admittedly, January isn't exactly garden weather in Omaha!

But after another gray day around here, I decided some photos of tulips would certainly brighten the mood and hold me over as I await spring. Still, the changing seasons are part of what I love about Kansas. Even if these tulips are from our neighbor to the north, they provide a glimpse of what's to come once the snow melts, the temperatures rebound and the calendar turns to spring.

(I loved the light coming from the Center's skylight as the sun peaked out - one of the few times
during our stay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment