Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Soup's On!



Eric's mom, Christy, made soup for lunch for the "crew" during the big move in Omaha. Jill had told me about this super-easy soup before. Once I tasted the soup, it was a must-add to my recipe box.

This past weekend was the perfect time to try it here at home. If you can open cans, you can make this soup. So it is perfect for a day when you don't have a lot of time or you just need a warm-up to cope with another winter day.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 can corn

1 can chicken broth

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)

3/4 cup salsa (anything from mild to hot - suit your taste!)

1 can refried beans (I used fat-free beans)

2 cups cooked, chopped chicken

Tortilla chips

Shredded cheese

Combine black beans, corn, chicken broth, salsa, refried beans and chicken. Heat until heated through (You could put in a crock pot, if desired). To serve, top with shredded cheese and slightly crushed tortilla chips (You can also use soft taco shells if you prefer). Jill & I just cook chicken breasts in the microwave and then chop them. You could also use a can of chicken meat, if you prefer.

I may try it with hamburger sometime since my hubby tends to prefer beef over chicken (Imagine that!) But I think that could be good also.


I served with a fruit salad, but you can also round it out with a green salad, baby carrots or another side dish. Christy served it with a homemade cheese ball that was also delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment