Friday, February 26, 2010

A Walk to Remember


Walking is certainly nothing unusual for me. I walk 4 to 4.5 miles a day, six days a week.

So why was today a walk to remember? For the first time in forever, I walked outside. Winter has had an unrelenting grip on the County Line. And while there is still plenty of evidence of winter in the persistent snow icing portions of the farmstead, there was also some hope of spring. The red maple tree in the front yard sports some new buds. There was green peeking through the icy remnants of last Sunday's storm. The wheat has started to wake up from its winter sleep.



I don't let winter interfere with the walking habit. I wore out one treadmill, and I've certainly put the miles on the new one this winter. And, unfortunately, the treadmill has left its mark on me. You know the little clip you're supposed to attach to your shirt as a safety precaution? I am a cautionary tale in the importance of its usage.

You see, I didn't think I needed to bother with that little clip. Two months ago, my treadmill got the last laugh when it unceremoniously threw me to the ground. And, because I neglected the safety clip, the treadmill continued to grind on both knees and my left side until I finally escaped its clutches. I fully suspect I will have scars for life. (Be glad that I didn't take a photo of my injuries. There is nothing pretty about them, I assure you.) My best advice for treadmill walkers? Wear your safety clip.

There was no need to be tethered to the treadmill today. What a mood lifter to be outside in the sunshine! In the cool breeze and sunshine, I searched for signs of spring. And while it did take some searching among the still brown pastures and the muddy roads, there were glimmers of spring. Hallelujah!

1 comment: