Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sign of the Times


This sign is on the Zenith Road, where we make the turn off Highway 50 for home. It's a daily crossroads for us, since it's the route to and from Stafford. This week, the arrow started pointing upward instead of north. Randy said he thought there was a sermon there.

And I think he's right. I'm pretty sure the Coldwell Banker realty agent hasn't driven by. But I'm kind of glad. Every time I drive by it, I've thought about the very real estate of my heavenly home.


Jesus said: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."
John 14: 1-4

The Coldwell Banker realtor would be appalled to discover the wayward sign is covering up the agency phone number and would certainly not guide anyone to discover the location or the "rooms" of the home for sale. I suppose it will eventually be hammered back into place.

But, for now, I use it as a reminder, every time I drive by.

That's not to say that the heavenly path is easy. Unfortunately, I also had a sermon illustration when I turned onto our dirt road. The road grader operator had left the road in worse shape after he graded than before. (And, I must admit, I was not full of Christian mercy as I bumped my way through the 1.5 miles of clods, debris from the ditch and uneven surface.)

But I thought about that, too. And while it doesn't make me any happier about the condition of the road, I was reminded of the song we'd just done at middle school choir:

"All my trials, Lord, soon be over."

This life is short. We don't know what will happen from day to day and whether we'll even have another day to make things right. So, maybe these signposts are there for a reason.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1: 2-4


This definitely hasn't been as lighthearted as usual. But I guess it doesn't hurt to explore the road signs ... to make sure I'm moving in the right direction - not just to my home on the County Line, but to my heavenly home.



No comments:

Post a Comment