Saturday, March 6, 2010

Big 'Mac' Taste

These "macs" have nothing to do with McDonald's. Coconut Macaroons are one of my go-to cookies. They look fancy, but they are deceptively easy. I made two recipes today, since I need to contribute cookies for two different events in the next week. My Beta Sigma Phi group will host a St. Patrick's Day party at the rest home on Tuesday. I also will take 4 dozen cookies to town for a Stafford Main Street project. Several volunteer bakers are making cookies for appreciation bags for Stafford businesses. (I made other cookies, too, but I'll save those for another day's post.) Here's what you'll need:

Macaroons
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1/4 tsp. salt
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Colored "chocolate" discs or chocolate stars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (You MUST do this!) In a large bowl, stir together flour, coconut and salt. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla. Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto the prepared sheets. Cookies should be about golf-ball size.




Slightly flatten the cookies, keeping them rounded. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven until coconut is toasted. Don't overbake. (In my oven, it doesn't take that long, so check before 10 minutes.)


Slide the parchment paper and cookies onto cooling racks (don't remove cookies from the parchment paper.) Immediately place colored chocolate discs or chocolate stars into warm cookies.


I get the colored "chocolate" discs at the party supply store. If I had made a trip to Hutchinson this week, I might have gotten a bag of green discs to go with the St. Patty's Day theme. But I just used what I had on hand. I like using the assorted colors since they really brighten a cookie serving tray.

For Jill & Eric's wedding "Welcome" bags, we made these cookies and used purple and yellow discs, the colors of their special day.

You can use chocolate stars, which is a tasty addition as well.


You can skip the decorations all together, but why would you want to?



The recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies.

The cookies freeze well, and that's where these are destined (except, of course, for a few that Randy snatches!) Don't they look like spring on a plate? They are also great for Easter treats. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures really came out with the scoop shiny and everything!! You can see the coconut detail!

    ReplyDelete