Friday, March 2, 2012

Creamy Pesto Chicken and Pasta

Confession is good for the soul, so here goes: I got this recipe from a soup can.

I have never claimed to be a gourmet cook. I know there are people out there who turn up their noses at using a convenience food like a can of creamed soup. I am perfectly capable of making a roux. But I am also perfectly capable of opening a can of soup on occasion.

So I did. What's more important? Holding a baby or making a roux from scratch? In my book, the baby wins every time.

This was another dish on the menu during my stay at Jill's and Eric's. Eric loves pasta, so when I saw this recipe, I stuck it among the important things like the camera cord and the computer to take with me.

We had it for supper one night, and there were enough leftovers for Eric to take it to work for lunch a couple of days.

This would be an easy dish to make for your weekend. Enjoy!

Creamy Pesto Chicken & Pasta
2 tbsp. butter
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup jarred pesto sauce
1/2 cup milk
3 cups pasta, cooked and drained

Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned, stirring often.

Stir soup, pesto sauce and milk in skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in pasta and cook until mixture is hot and bubbling.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each

Notes: The original recipe called for bowtie pasta. Jill had medium shells in her pantry, so that's what I used.

I served it with a green salad (romaine with Granny Smith apples, feta cheese, dried cranberries and light raspberry vinaigrette), steamed veggies sprinkled with dill and rolls brought in by some friends. With all the other accompaniments to the meal, this served at least 6 (counting the two portions Eric took with him to work for lunch).

(Please forgive the photo quality. Since I was taking photos at night - not at noon like I do around here most of the time - I used flash instead of natural light.)

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    Sometimes the BEST recipes are found on the back of the box/package/soup can etc.!

    I have never had pesto, but my Sister says I should try it. Your recipe sounds like a good test.

    ReplyDelete