Thursday, September 27, 2012

PB & C

PB & J is a classic combo. Like peaches and cream. Abbott and Costello. Fred and Ginger. 

Elvis is said to have topped his peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches with sliced bananas. I've always liked that peanut butter and banana combination, too. Throw in a little chocolate and it's even better, right? 

Best of all? The combination was already hanging out in my freezer, and I just had to defrost it. 

It's wheat planting time here on the County Line. I went to Salina for parts on Monday (1 1/2 hours one way). I went to Hutchinson Tuesday (45 minutes one way) for more parts after I had been in Pratt (45 minutes one way) for a meeting. Then, when I delivered the parts to Randy, I found out it wasn't all he needed. I see another parts run in my future this afternoon after the UPS truck arrives at Hutchinson's Case store around noon. Somehow, I avoided a parts run on Wednesday, but I didn't lack for plenty to keep me busy. 

I'm taking noon meals and suppers to the field to save the guys time. I have been playing taxi to help move the fertilizer tank and seed wheat truck to the next field. With less time in the kitchen and more behind the steering wheel of the car, it was great to be able to use my freezer stash for a sweet treat for dessert for the guys.

I made this bread to take to Jill's and Eric's for Labor Day weekend (along with Spiced Peach and Carrot Bread and White Chocolate Blueberry Crunch Bread.) Jill didn't really like the Reece's PB cups in the bread. She thinks it's a texture issue. 

But I thought it was delicious. But, if you are texture averse, you could still get the banana and peanut butter taste by just making the bread and leaving out the candy. (It would be less expensive, too: Bonus!) Your choice of smooth or chunky peanut butter will also impact the texture. So ... the choice is yours. Enjoy!
 Reese's Peanut Butter
 Banana Bread
 Recipe from Cookies and Cups blog
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth - you choose)
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. bag of Reese's Mini-Cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8- by 4-inch pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, peanut butter and sugars, mixing well. Add egg, mixing well. Add mashed bananas; combine well. Pour in dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Don't overstir.

Fold in Reese's Mini cups and spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (You can also use small loaf pans. If making small loaves, bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.) No matter the pan size, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges of the pan with a knife and remove from loaf pan, transferring bread to a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving. Freezes well.

Notes:
  • If the bread is browning too fast, lower the temperature to 325 degrees and loosely tent it with foil. 
  • I also doubled the recipe (except the candy, still just using one bag) with my usual thought that you get more product for the same messy kitchen. (And it's certainly nice on a day that I need a little help getting everything done!)

No comments:

Post a Comment