Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Once in a Blue Moon

Blue moon setting, morning of September 1, 2012
A blue moon arrived on the same day that Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, was laid to rest. 

When there is a second full moon within one calendar month, it's said to be a blue moon. This relatively rare event won't happen again until July 2015. The last time a blue moon occurred was December 2009. The moon remains its usual color, but the astronomical event is associated with the phrase "once in a blue moon."
Moon setting - August 31, 2012
In announcing his death, Armstrong's family requested that when people "see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

I remember staying up late to watch Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, July 20, 1969. I would just have turned 12 years old.  

I went by the Zenith branch of the co-op to fill my car with gas and thought this looked like the grain spout was dropping the moon into the night sky. 


I also watched it as it seemed to climb the "ladder" of the elevator.

I think the moon was a little bit purple on the night of K-State's season opener vs. Missouri State.
It was September 1, but the moon still looked full to me. It was the first Wildcat football game for Kinley, a fifth generation Wildcat. (More on that later.)
I think of thee, alma mater.

No comments:

Post a Comment