Thursday, October 30, 2014

Happy Birthday to My Human Measuring Stick!

Happy Birthday to my human measuring stick! He is always willing to provide the friendly face of The County Line through photo after photo. He hears the inevitable, "Just one more!" and then knows he'll be there for at least two.
He patiently answers questions that I've probably asked before. (Secretly, I think he likes that we are doing our part to share the story of life on one Kansas farm.)

Randy is 59 years old today. We have celebrated 33 of those birthdays together, and I'm thankful for each one.
Photo credit - Julie McNickle - October 4, 2014
This year, we get to celebrate it with two little girls, too. Jill called me yesterday and asked, "You're still planning to bring cake, right?" Miss Kinley is already talking about helping Grandpa blow out his candles. Brooke appears to be less excited about the milestone, but we're hoping to get a smile out of her, too. 
 
Yes, there will be cake - German Chocolate Cake - Grandpa's favorite.

Then, tomorrow, there will be a Halloween parade at preschool and trick or treating with our little goblins. It may be Grandpa's birthday. But Grandma gets to share the gift of time with the granddaughters. That's better than anything tied up with a ribbon.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to the measuring stick:) Now I have a request save me a piece of cake would you. I have not had German Chocolate Cake for ages:) Oh blowing out candles with Granddaughters sounds perfect. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would send you a piece, but I'm not sure it would survive the trip!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to Randy! This birthday celebration sounds like the perfect one. Somehow celebrating with the grandkids is just more fun. I'm also a bit jealous of the German chocolate cake. We may have to make one ourselves, though caramel pumpkin cheesecake is our plan for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm! Pumpkin cheesecake sounds delicious. I am trying to figure out what to serve for a PEO meeting Tuesday night. I think I'm going to do a pear cake with butter sauce and ice cream. I love pumpkin, but I have a sister who dreads meetings this time of year since people routinely serve it in various and sundry forms. I, on the other hand, would be fine with that.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to the measuring stick! :)
    Eat a piece of cake for me! German chocolate is my fav too!
    Have fun with the grand kids! :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a sheet cake and frosted half with German chocolate frosting and half with regular chocolate frosting so that everyone would eat it. It got good reviews!

      Delete
  4. Happy Happy Birthday, Randy! Spending the weekend with a little kitty cat, a pea pod and family will be just right. I hope kitty cats are good at blowing out candles; Grandpa will have a lot on his cake.

    Enjoy your weekend Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Kitty Cat named Kinley was not necessarily good at blowing out candles, but we did it twice anyway. The Pea Pod was unimpressed this year. But just wait until next year!

      Delete