Thursday, February 11, 2021

Bird in the Bush ... Or the Silo?

Most of the time, the birds flitting around our trench silo take off as I chug toward my parking place in the feed truck and Randy follows behind in the tractor.
 

(For the record, my wildlife consultant, Pam, says this is a first-year white-crowned sparrow.)

If they haven't flown the coop (so to speak) before, they startle away as soon as Randy gets out of the tractor cab to open the gate.

But on one recent silo trip, a little friend decided to hold his ground ... or at least hold his perch on the fence. He seemed to say, "You're invading MY territory, so I'll wait you out!" I was happy to have the company while I waited, so, of course, I took his picture.

Watching the birds helps fill the time as I wait for Randy to put scoops of silage into the feed truck.

The blackbirds to the west make punctuation marks in the sky as Randy drives in and scoops out the grain.

On another cold morning, the blackbirds looked like music notes on a staff.

They eyed the grain in the silage from their perch on snow-covered branches. Other foraged in the straw nearby.

But my favorite avian visitors are the cardinals in our backyard. It's not easy to get photos of these skittish guests. I've had to resort to capturing them through the porch windows this winter.

 This is probably my favorite year-to-date, but it, too, was taken through the window.

I belong to a Snapshot Kansas group on Facebook. I'm always admiring the beautiful cardinals and other featured friends that my fellow Kansas photographers catch in pixel perfection. Mine don't compare, but they were better than nothing.

You could even see a bit of ice hanging in the shrubs and trees in some of them.

No wonder they were all puffed up. I'm trying and stay warm, too.
 

My favorite cardinal photos (so far) were from last winter.


I'm still surprised I was able to sit on the back steps while it was snowing and take these. They've ended up on notecards. The male cardinal is the "pin-up guy" on my family birthday calendar for February.

 

A couple of Sundays ago, Randy called while he was feeding and said he saw an eagle. It was feasting on some roadkill about a mile north of our house. I couldn't get close enough to get a good shot, but it was still a thrill to see it powerfully soaring in the overcast sky and taking a short rest in the shelterbelt.

I got a once-in-a-lifetime photo of an eagle this past summer.

Again, it was thanks to a phone call from my favorite farmer.

A couple of years ago, some bluebirds briefly visited in February in the pasture south of our house. It was a first for both Randy and me. We kept our eyes open last winter, hoping they'd return.


No such luck. A neighbor saw some one day, but I didn't know about the visitors until they'd already been pushed south by the frigid temperatures.

 I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm still in search of that elusive pheasant photo. It's kind of become a joke around here.

"Oh, there's your pheasant...
"Oh, there goes your pheasant ..."

I have not given up.  

I almost got one Tuesday night as we drove to pastures to check mamas and babies. Shoulda, woulda, coulda: It would have been perfect with the colorful feathers against the stark, white snow.

And now I have another photo on my elusive list. A blue heron sometimes wades in the water beneath the Peace Creek bridge. As my feed truck rumbles that way, it takes off and soars to the west. I never see it until it's in the air. 

Hope springs eternal.


2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with this collection of your visiting birds. They may not be the standard of the photography group, but I find them delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's been fun to watch the cardinals in the backyard, even though it's difficult to get a stellar photo of them.

      Delete