Saturday, June 26, 2010

An Aesop-Like Fable

The start of another harvest day on the County Line

Our temporary harvest employee turned out to be more temporary than we had planned. Long story. So I'll give you the Aesop's Fable moral-of-the-story version, as provided by our daughter: Don't lie. The End.

All the drama came the same day I posted about the glass being half full or half empty. So I had to put what I'd written into action. How inconvenient, right? I actually had to follow through and be that person who sees the glass as half full even when a situation was causing some storm clouds in my head and stomach. OK, God, I hear You!

So part of Thursday and all day yesterday, I included full-time truck driving with full-time cook and go-fer duties.

However, we can't spend our lives looking back in the rearview mirror. We need to look forward and figure out the next step (or the next swath, in this case).


Life truly does put things in perspective. The day of our temporary employee drama was also the same day that two young men were killed in the grain elevator collapse at Russell. My problems and inconveniences seem pretty trivial when stacked against the grief of their families and that community.

Really, if I just look around, it sure doesn't take long for me to rediscover that my glass is indeed full to overflowing.

So I'll just leave you with a few more glimpses of Harvest 2010. We finished last night!

My farmer

His shadow reflected in the windshield glass


The shadow of the combine reflected in the windshield as the wheat goes through the combine header

Me, casting a shadow in the wheat (while taking a photo, of course)


Shadows at the end of daylight on the County Line
(not necessarily the end of the day)!



May your joys be as bright as the morning, and your sorrows merely be shadows that fade in the sunlight of love.
An Irish blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment