Monday, June 7, 2010

Fudge Bars


Sometimes you just don't want to take the time to make drop cookies. This Fudge Bar recipe is a never-fail, go-to recipe for just such an occasion.

And they are nutritious, right? Well ... they have oatmeal. And they are saying that a little chocolate is good for you, right? (I hear my dietitian daughter whispering in my ear: "They said a little dark chocolate, Mom!")

OK, you will just to overlook the fact they also have sweetened condensed milk, margarine and plenty of brown sugar. Details, details ... Don't let those get in the way of a good cookie recipe!

As always, moderation is the key. Even my daughter the dietitian says so!

These are great for taking to the field for the evening supper run. Enjoy!

Fudge Bars
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick oats

Fudge Filling:
1 pkg. chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. butter

For crust: Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Mix flour, salt and soda and add to creamed mixture. Add oats.

For filling: Melt together all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl using 70 percent power and cooking 1 minute at a time until ingredients are melted and smooth. Take care not to burn chocolate.

Spray 15- by 10.5-inch pan with cooking spray. Spread 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture in a bottom of the prepared pan.

Cover with chocolate filling. Sprinkle rest of oatmeal mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the oatmeal mixture is lightly browned. Cool; cut into squares to serve.

5 comments:

  1. This is a favorite! But I try not to make it unless we are going somewhere--so it will all be gone when I get home. Otherwise, I'll eat them. All. !! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Paige! Mrs. E: I did make these for Memorial Day weekend when we were going to be with family (and just posted it today). You are right: They are addicting, so it's best to take some of them out the door. But I'll probably make them again during harvest when I have to take suppers to the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige must really like it - three comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I got all excited when I saw the number of comments. Then I realized Paige had a computer malfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got the topping very even!! Mine never looks that pretty!!

    ReplyDelete