Monday, November 7, 2011

Beauty, Captured

How beautifully leaves grow old.
How full of light and color are their last days.
~John Burroughs

There's probably a lesson there, isn't there? Despite the fact that cold gusts will send them crashing from their perch, the leaves dance their way to their inevitable end, whether it's crushed underfoot or crowded into overstuffed plastic bags.

As I age, do I focus on the aches and pains? Am I consumed with the perceived slights? Do I get set in my ways? Do I resist change?

A change of perspective often helps us see things in a different light. Instead of taking my walk along the County Line one recent morning, I traversed the trail at Frank Anneberg Park in Manhattan.

Even though it was a wonderful weekend with my kiddos, worries from home followed me to Manhattan. But a brisk fall morning can help clear the mind and the heart, especially when it's wrapped in a brightly-colored package of autumn golds, greens and reds.

The challenge is to not get distracted by the obstacles in the path.

Instead, Lord, open my eyes to the light, the color and the blessings that would fill more sacks than the autumn leaves during this month of Thanksgiving.

I pray the same for you.

Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you,
and the storms their energy,
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

--John Muir

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and photos, Kim! May we, too, like the leaves, fulfill our purpose...

    “One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy! I appreciate your faithfulness in commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim
    I love this post.

    Opening our heart and mind to change our perspective, when needed, is so importnat to seeing the big picture.

    Your fall pictures are beautiful.

    Robyn
    http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Robyn! I love the colors and the briskness of fall. It definitely helps with perspective after a hot, dry summer.

    ReplyDelete