Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Sunrise in a winter wheat field, November 9, 2011

"The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful."

Wait a second. Let's review:
  • No rain is frightful.
  • Multiple 100-degree-plus summer days are frightful.
  • Setting records for heat and lack of rain are frightful.
  • Getting milo harvest done in two days is frightful.
  • Being in an exceptional drought is frightful.
  • Being short on winter feed is frightful. (See list above.)

So let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

I had a meeting in town last night. Huge, wet snowflakes pelted the windshield and clung to the pickup and road.

And just for the record, if my friends would have needed to drive to my house in the country for the meeting, they would have turned around and headed back to their "fire." (I love 'em, but it's true!)


But I come from hardy stock. And I'm the secretary. And there was actually moisture falling from the sky. So I persevered. (Besides, I was totally out of eggs after two days of marathon baking for the UMW bazaar, so a provisions run was in order. I have one more day of baking to go today. Recipes to come, but that's another story ...)

We ended up with 1.60 of total moisture. And while that is not a "drought buster," it is a blessing. You see, the "fire" of the summer wasn't so delightful for the fields, either. So, between the clunk of the windshield wipers, you could almost hear the chorus of "Let It Snow!" being sung by a thirsty earth. I'm good at singing harmony.

2 comments: