Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

I got a new cookbook, and it wasn't even Christmas. My Mom gave me a cookbook assembled by her Pratt PEO IF Chapter. It's called Incredible Food. I guess I'd have to concur after trying three different quick bread recipes.

The new addition to my cookbook collection came just in time for my marathon baking sessions for the UMW Bazaar bake sale. This Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread recipe would be a good one for your Thanksgiving table ... or anytime.

I love cookbook collections like this one. These are recipes that come from Kansas small town kitchens. No wonder I can relate. No fancy weird ingredients. Just down-to-earth recipes I can create from my home pantry.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
3 cups sugar
1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour and spices. Fold in chips and nuts (if desired). Fill 3 loaf pans 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Note: I didn't use the walnuts this time, since I was sharing some with Jill and she's not a nut eater. The original recipe called for a tablespoon of nutmeg. I reduced that to the 2 teaspoons I listed in the ingredient list.

1 comment:

  1. This is an Alpers family favorite! I make it as muffins, makes 2 dz.

    ReplyDelete