Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Drop in the Ocean

May your joys be as deep as the ocean,
your sorrows as light as its foam.

--Unknown

We are no strangers to vastness. Kansas skies seem to stretch from here to eternity - whether the bright cerulean blue of a summer day or the rainbow-tinged hues of twilight.

But the ocean's vastness defies definition. I suppose it's because this Kansan has spent her life landlocked in amber waves of grain instead of with waves lapping at my feet during weekends at the beach. I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but I must admit my fascination with the ocean.

We were staying in Savannah, Georgia, before going to visit Brent for Thanksgiving in Columbia, South Carolina. Two days doesn't begin to scratch the surface of touring such a historic city. But I opted for a rerun at Tybee Island anyway.

The Atlantic Ocean's vastness is in the blue of the water as it bleeds into the blue of the sky. The sound of the surf is the white noise that makes you contemplate life and blessings and the immeasurable power of God and His creation.

I was content to roam the fringes of the water. A kayaker entered the foam and the fray. (Do you see him hidden in the marsh grasses?)

The ocean certainly wasn't as warm as a bubble bath, though the frothy foam made it look it that way. And yes, Randy, you do get wet when you visit the ocean (see the video). Yes, we are definitely Kansans!

No comments:

Post a Comment