Friday, April 16, 2010

Semi Homemade II


Here's another easy, semi homemade recipe just in time for weekend cooking.

I modified it from a Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine several years ago. The original recipe called for a can of sloppy joe sauce, but my kiddos don't like sloppy joes (I know, I know! Where did I go wrong that my kids don't like such an easy-to-throw-together meal?)

So if your family likes sloppy joes, you can re-modify it back to the original recipe. Confused yet? I hope you won't be confused after reading the recipe.

BBQ Under a Bun
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
Minced onion
1 1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (We like Curly's)
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (I usually use fiesta cheese - a blend of cheeses)
2 cups biscuit/baking mix
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. sesame seeds

In a skillet, cook ground beef and minced onion together until it's no longer pink; drain. Stir in BBQ sauce. Mix well and reheat until bubbly. Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer meat to prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese. In a bowl, combine biscuit mix, eggs and milk until just blended. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 8.

NOTES: Now that the kids are gone from home, I have made half of this recipe and put it in a smaller casserole. It still works great. You can modify this recipe back to Sloppy Joe Under a Bun, which was what the recipe was originally called, by using a 15.5-ounce can of sloppy joe sauce instead of the BBQ sauce. However, it would be more difficult to "half" that recipe.

This time, I served the meal with a fresh green salad and creamy crock pot corn. It's a recipe from another Stafford farm wife, Julie, that she shared through the Stafford Oktoberfest cookbook several years ago.

I'll give you the recipe for the corn, which is great for taking to potluck dinners at church. However, with only two of us at home, I just used a small amount of the ingredients and threw it in the microwave.

It is definitely not on the menu very often. My dietitian daughter would identify it as a "seldom food." Man, those seldom foods sure taste good, though ... on occasion, Jill, only on occasion. Usually I wait until a church dinner to fix it because it's so easy to leave it plugged in during Sunday School and the church service.

Easy Creamy Crock Pot Corn
2 10-ounce pkg. frozen corn
2 tbsp. sugar
1 8-ounce pkg. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
3 tbsp. water
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a Crock Pot. Cook on low setting for approximately 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment