Saturday, June 19, 2010

And We're Off!


It feels like a blast furnace outside. That must mean it's harvest time. After a rain-induced wait, wheat harvest 2010 is officially underway at the County Line.

I didn't drive the truck yesterday. But I spent a fair amount of time on the road anyway by the time I went to Stafford for parts, took supper to the field and then went to Hutchinson for another parts run.

But my running around was in air-conditioned comfort. Jake's teenage sister, who rode with him in the truck yesterday, said she had never been so hot just sitting still. Welcome to harvest, Monica!

Because of all my extra assignments yesterday, I didn't have a chance to take many photos of the County Line harvest. With my propensity to click away at life, be assured there will be more coming.

But on my final parts run of the day, I headed back home on 4th Avenue out of Hutchinson. There's an old grain elevator on Rayl's Hill. Every time I drive by it, it seems like an old-time sentinel standing guard over a modern-day crop.


The sun was setting and the light was golden, so I pulled in for a few photos.


I can hear you farmers and farm wives wondering out loud, "What was she doing taking pictures when she had parts to get back to the field?"

But I knew the parts weren't going on the combine until this morning, so I couldn't resist.

Before my tromp through the wheat field, I parked my car in the cemetery across the road. And when I got back to the car, I noticed the golden light on an angel fashioned from a tree trunk.

(You can even see a tiny sliver of the moon in this photo - if you look closely.)

May God and his angels surround you and keep you safe during another hectic harvest!

2 comments:

  1. I love that old grain elevator and have taken a picture from the exact same spot! Mine was post-harvest, though... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jslater316/3386065453/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff - Thanks for sharing your photo, too, I found it! I also have a photo of last year's milo crop by that landmark (but I'll save it for fall).

    ReplyDelete