Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Streusel-Topped Peach Blueberry Pie

Upper right: Toll House Cookie Pie & lower right: Coconut Pie

Things that really matter are the things that gold can't buy. 
So let's have another cup o' coffee and let's have another piece o' pie. 
Irving Berlin

I was in charge of organizing the pie portion of a fundraiser for my Stafford PEO group. I had ordered plastic containers for individual pieces of pie, but I felt like I needed to make a pie and experiment with how best to cut it to fit in the containers.

Randy was a big fan of the experimentation. The pies I made later in the week were carted out the kitchen door to our PEO Potatoes and Pie fundraiser at the First Friday event at the Nora Larabee Memorial Library in Stafford. PEO was raising money for our local scholarship, given each year to a senior girl at Stafford High School. It was also a way for our PEO members to get involved in a fun community event. Community service is always a good thing!

The containers worked well, though we also used a piece of tape to make sure the lids stayed close. I used under-the-bed plastic storage containers to display the pies and make them easier to transport from the church kitchen (where we cut each pie into eight pieces) and the library, where we served. This was the only photo I took all evening (not very impressive, but I guess I was busy).  The photo just shows a portion of the pies. I stacked them two high in two long containers, and I labeled each pie piece so customers could easily identify them.


Though I made a Coconut Pie and a Toll House Cookie Pie for the actual event, this Streusel-Topped Peach Blueberry Pie was a hit at our house, and it will go in the recipe files for another time. For my experiment, I wanted a crumb-topped pie since my pie crust recipe makes three crusts, and I needed two for later in the week. And it used two fruits that are abundant this time of year. Bonus!

I love a streusel-topped pie with ice cream anyway! Unfortunately, 100-degree temperatures meant that we didn't top our pies with ice cream at the First Friday event. But it sure didn't stop us at home.

If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

Streusel-Topped Peach Blueberry Pie
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.com
 
1 unbaked pie shell **
 
Filling
3 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
 
Streusel Topping
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter
 
** I always use my sister, Lisa's, Never Fail Pie Crust. Click HERE for that recipe. It makes 3 crusts total. (You can use for 3 single crusts or use for 1 double-crusted pie and a single pie.)

Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, mix all filling ingredients. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate.

In medium bowl, mix topping ingredients with fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.

Place pie shields over the crust. (I use silicone pie shields.) Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on cooling rack for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
 
Note: You may use frozen fruit. However, make sure the fruit is thawed and well-drained.

Serves 8. 

***
NOTE: I am sure I will write about the farm sale at some point, but we are still in the midst of the business of finishing up things. We have another day of running around for business today. We'll see how the rest of the week goes and how I feel. (Right now, I'm tired!) It was a good day. We had a great sale with a big crowd, our family was here and the kids hosted a reception after the sale. For the record, I didn't make a single cookie ... or anything else. We are blessed!
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie sounds delicious but it is your postscript that I was delighted to read. So glad it all went well. Take some deep breaths and soon relaxation time will arrive.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete