Monday, June 30, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!

Happy Birthday, Grandma! 

I just thought we were going to be cutting wheat on my birthday, June 27. I've spent plenty of birthdays in the harvest field. It's just part of the reality of being a farmer's daughter, then a farmer's wife.

Instead, we got 1.50" of rain Thursday. So we went to Topeka instead. I got to share a birthday celebration with Kinley and her Mommy on Friday. Kinley didn't used to like ice cream. But she definitely liked frozen yogurt. She ate all her Mommy's fruit toppings, too.
We were going to take her to a water park for swimming on Friday afternoon, but the rain followed us to Topeka. So we played with the water table instead.
We also took turns pushing Kinley in her swing. She would swing all day, if you'd let her. (As Brent says, "So would I, if someone was willing to push me!)
On Saturday, Brent drove over from Manhattan and brought cupcakes. Another surprise! It's great to have him close enough to come for family celebrations.

Saturday morning, we also went to the Farmer's Market near the Capitol.
Kinley wanted to pick out the vegetables. (The girl came out of the stroller and the veggies went in after awhile, but she was insistent that she had to carry the peppers she'd personally selected.)
Jill prepped Saturday's noon meal of chicken fajitas and Brent did the grilling. We also used Kinley's green peppers. (It's a surefire way to get kids to eat vegetables.)
While Uncle Brent was grilling, Kinley got a pedicure from Mommy. (Don't they look alike in their concentration and the way they cock their heads?! We'll see if Baby Sister, due to arrive September 3, has the same attributes. By the way, if you ask Kinley what the baby's name will be, she says, "Sister" or "Baby." I guess there's no getting the girl to reveal family secrets, even on Grandma's birthday weekend!)
What a fun weekend! Do I wish we were done cutting wheat? Yes. We'll see how quickly we can get back in the field. We got another 0.90" of rain Saturday morning.

Neither Randy or I can remember having a harvest halted for a whole week due to rainy weather. Now I guess we'll remember the summer of 2014 for that phenomenon. On the other hand, the corn looks great. It's probably about time for another photo with my human measuring stick!

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Looks like a fun time!
    What a great way to get the little ones to eat or at least try veggies.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She eats lots of fruits and veggies. As Jill says, Kinley knows types and varieties better than many grocery store checkout people!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the best way to spend a wet birthday weekend, Kim!
    The first picture of Kinley really shows how much she is looking like her Mom.

    I would love to attend a Farmer's Market. I see I have a zucchini coming and my lettuce is close to picking. I picked rhubarb this morning and made bread. That's as close as I'm going to get for now.

    Fajitas on the grill, sounds delicious.

    Hope you can get in the field soon. This June has been a wet one. J is wanting to spray corn on Wednesday and start swathing. We have been in a wind advisory yesterday and today. Today has been really yucky, 50 mph up to 60 mph gusts. I did baking and cooking projects as it's too windy for the outside projects J has in mind.

    The good news is we hope the wind will dry out the hay fields. We got .20" on Thursday and 3.5" Friday evening-Saturday morning. The are talking dry in our 10 day outlook and 80's-90 by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farmers' market was one of the biggest ones I'd been to. I brought several things home! The kids made a good collaboration for my birthday meal.

      I agree: Kinley is a mini-me of her Mom! I also thought the photo where they were both holding their heads "just so" as Jill was painting Kinley's toenails revealed some lookalike tendencies!

      We cut some wheat this afternoon, but we are again out of dry ground. I should never say this, but I hope we will avoid the storms that are possible this evening and overnight. But there's nothing we can do about it, one way or the other. It is terribly humid here, so it gives lots of fuel for storms to build.

      Hope you're able to get some things done this week!

      Delete