Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Kinley: Renovation Inspector

Kinley here, reporting from my Uncle Brent's house in Manhattan.

Grandma and I have not been given permission to reveal details about the remodeling taking place. Maybe it will be like the big reveal on HGTV's "Fixer Upper" or "Property Brothers." But I thought I'd come supervise the renovations on Saturday evening.

The contractor was off for the weekend, and Uncle Brent needed some extra help. While my Daddy helped with some heavy lifting, I performed a close-up inspection of the new flooring installed just this past week.
To keep things interesting, I decided to ask my crew to construct a fort from an emptied packing box. That gave me the opportunity to check the quality of the work closely and see how the new flooring would perform as a play surface for a discerning 2.5 year old.
I believe it will work admirably.
While I was down there, I checked out the workmanship on the countertop from the underside. Uncle Brent plans to put bar stools there so he'll have plenty of seating to watch football. I wonder if he'll invite me.
Uncle Brent also needed some gardening advice in his backyard. My Dad is more the lawn care guy, but he was busy helping set up a bed frame and helping lift Brent's TV out of the box. My Grandma is not much help when it comes to plants, but she and I went to explore. 
The former owners left Uncle Brent lots of pretty flowers. We wish the plants the best of luck as they transition to their new owner. They are going to need it. (Grandma says that's because she wasn't a very good teacher for Mommy or Uncle Brent went it comes to gardening. She says she's sorry about that, but hopefully, they learned a few other, non-gardening valuable lessons under her tutelage, whatever that means.)

I went back to my house on Saturday evening since I had another engagement on Sunday. Grandma stayed and helped on Sunday. I'm sure she got lonely without me.

Uncle Brent told my Mommy it was probably for the best that we weren't there on Sunday. He said that Grandma is a better worker when I'm not around. Grandma says she might resemble that remark.

Until next time,
Kinley Marie

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great remodel! Are you all for hire?? (Kinley included??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get what you pay for, Mrs. E! Actually, the bulk of the work has been done by a contractor. We have helped paint, etc., but none of us are particularly handy. As Brent told someone else, he'd be glad to pass along the name of his contractor! But I think Kinley and the Bug would have a great time together (and their Grandmas would have a good time, too!)

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing what we don't get done when the grandkids are around? We had Tommy all week last week and really didn't do much except have fun making memories. One of the best things about being a grandparent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making memories sounds like the best "job" of all to me. Sounds like you had a great time!

      Delete