Monday, May 16, 2011

EJuror


They found me.

For years, I've gotten questionnaires from Stafford County about jury duty. I'm all for doing my civic duty. But I live in Reno County. The dividing line goes right in front of my house, but I live in Reno County, nevertheless.

With a Stafford address, I realize it's confusing. Shhhhh ... don't tell Reno County courts.

But this time, they mean business. I got a letter from the U.S. District Court:
Dear Potential Juror:

The District of Kansas qualifies potential jurors every two years from all 105 counties in the state of Kansas. This is not a summons for you to appear for jury duty. However, federal law, 28 U.S.C 1864(a) requires that you complete a questionnaire which will determine whether or not you qualify to serve as a potential juror for the United State District Court ...
It came with a written questionnaire, but the letter encouraged potential jurors to complete the questions online.

It was dated April 18, 2011, but it didn't arrive in my mail box until May 16. It said I had to fill out the survey within 10 days.


Really, Your Honor. I didn't get it until May.

Long, long ago, my mother-in-law served on a jury for a murder trial. So we shall see if my name comes up in the next two years. I love mysteries, but a murder trial? I don't know about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment